Years ago, when I was in graduate school, I bought a subscription to Martha Stewart Magazine. I loved sitting in my little apartment and reading it while something was baking in the oven – it felt sooo grown up and sophisticated.
While Todd and I were dating back then, I prepared Martha’s baked apples for dessert one evening. They smelled incredible and I was hoping that Todd would think about how domestic I was and how someday, I would make a wonderful wife. I asked him what he thought of dessert.
“It’s fine,” he replied, “I could take it or leave it.”
Wha . . . wha . . . what! Fine? Take it or leave it? Are you joking? The apples were delicious and tasted like a combination of fresh applesauce and homemade crisp, but without the dirty dishes.
BAKED APPLES from Martha Stewart Magazine
- 4 medium apples (Martha says to use Rome Beauty apples, but I just used what I had left over from apple picking)
- 1/4 cup unsalted, softened butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 TSP ground cinnamon
- 1/2 TSP ground ginger
- 1/4 TSP salt
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix the butter, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, ginger and salt together.